Fillius and Bergen Parks
Bergen and Fillius Parks are along the historic Lariat Loop Trail. Both parks, located in Evergreen, offer hikes, picnic areas and historic stone structures designed by architect J.J.B. Benedict. Bergen Parkway divides both parks. Douglas-fir and mature ponderosa pine forests make these parks excellent on hot summer days.
More About These Parks
Bergen Park was build on land donated by Oscar Johnson in 1915. Located in Evergreen, it is one of the better-known and most-used of the Denver Mountain Parks. Though it is one of the smaller parks in the system, its open grasslands and mature ponderosa pine forest offer exquisite wooded settings for picnicking. The park is home to a striking stone shelter and well-house designed by J.J.B. Benedict and built in 1917 from white quartz and timber.
Hiking at Bergen: The regional Jefferson County Pioneer Trail runs along the western edge of the park. Buchanan Park, owned by the Evergreen Park and Recreation District abuts Bergen Park and an internal trail connects the two.
Fillius Park in Evergreen was one of the early resting spots along the scenic drives in Denver’s foothills. Acquired in 1914, the park was named for Jacob Fillius, a member of the Denver Park Board. The park is notable for its prominently placed 1918 stone shelter designed by Denver architect J.J.B. Benedict. The shelter’s refined detailing make it one of the most important structures in the Denver Mountain Park System. There are two looping park roads constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1937 which are ideal for picnicking.
Hiking at Fillius: There are short walking trails within the park.
Like what we do?
Support our work.